Montebrier, Gothic Revival cottage home built in 1866 along Mahan Creek, is on +/-13 acres in Brierfield with additional adjacent acreage available. The home is 3,622 sq. ft. with 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. The large parlor has 20 ft. ceilings along with a custom built in Wurlitzer Theatre pipe organ and custom pecky cypress bookshelves. Oak solid panels in the parlor are gothic design organ casework from church in Selma recently valued at $9000. Large custom dining table (stays with the house) along with historic rug from Temple. Sideboard built around 1880 stained glass piece. Wood burning stove in the kitchen. Wood burning fireplace in the den with custom rockwork incorporating a large 44 inch millstone from across Mahan Creek. Original wide plank heart pine floors in the bedrooms. Front porch with 1880s heart pine church pews, over looking Mahan Creek is ready for sitting and visiting. A large lake adjacent to the home is full of fish. Barn with tool room, car storage area, electric room and yard equipment, Two stall horse barn. Screened porch and Small office area off the kitchen. Basement. The home has generous space with lots of storage and is in immaculate condition. National Register of Historic Places. 10 minutes to Montevallo 20 minutes to Centreville 20 minutes to Alabaster and 40 minutes to Birmingham.
Montebrier is a one of a kind property that has maintained its value because of the quality of design and construction for over 150 years. The property has been well loved and cared for by the family. A fresh coat of paint and a new roof were most recent additions.
Built in 1866, as a Gothic Revival Cottage it has been home to some famous Alabamians such as Amelia Gorgas, John William Mallett, and Caswell C. Huckabee who started the Brierfield Iron works in 1862. For a short period of time in the late 1920s it was used as a club and speakeasy with the original square dance floor still in tact. This is a place meant for people from the cozy kitchen, the spacious parlor and the front porch overlooking Mahan Creek.
The house was built by John William Mallett, a former University of Alabama professor and recent Superintendent of Confederate Ordnance Laboratories, who agreed to help run the Brierfield Ironworks located nearby.
In March 1915, then Surgeon General William C. Gorgas came here with his sister Jessie and spent a few hours with Adelaide Mahan and Cunningham Mahan who lived just across the creek. He told them he found himself near here and wanted to see this creek again and the place where he spent the happiest years of his life.
It has been true of all the many people that have lived here. It is time for the next family to be part of the history of Montebrier.
Lot Map & Boundaries
19330 AL-139, Brierfield, AL 35035, 33.044463, -86.906452, Directions from I-65 1. Head west on AL-25 S toward Foundry Rd (0.7 mi) 2. Turn left onto US-31 S (0.2) 3. Turn right onto AL-25 S (9.6 mi) 4. Turn left onto AL-139 S (1.2 mi) 5. The destination is on the right.